Friday, March 28, 2008

28.3.08 not enough chocolate

It's 9:42 in the morning and I have definitely not had enough chocolate yet. If I could wish myself a pain au chocolat right now, I certainly would.

Last night was the community meal at the Round Chapel where I work as a community worker. It's part of my job, in other words, to be involved in the meal. I got a bee in my bonnet to make a big pot of something and I found a great recipe for dal on the web. I've made it before, but never with black mustard seeds in ghee as the start to the spice mixture. What I like about dal is that it is flavorful, rich and creamy without any cream, warm and satisfying without being heavy. Perfect winter meal, perhaps? It did go over well and I have my friend Catherine to thank - we worked together in the kitchen at Iona two years ago and she happened to be flying in from Thailand yesterday. She arrived from Heathrow straight into the kitchen...nice one!

today's list so far is tiny, but I am looking for a great deal of expansion. Today is a food-as-comfort day. My feet and back hurt from cooking and serving til 10 last night; it's another grey and cold day in London town; it's Friday. Comfort, comfort, comfort.

so far:
lemon and hot water
coffee and milk
1/3 of an apple
tiny bit of muesli and milk

boring, though of course I'm grateful to wake up to food at all in world where so many have none...

No comments: