Tuesday, March 4, 2008

4.3.08 today's pain au chocolat

Yep, it's going to become a habit, buying a pain au chocolat from L'Epicerie on Chatsworth Road (about a block away from the house...definitely not a safe distance). P is convinced that this is not the best p au c, but I think it's pretty darn good. We picked one up on our way to pick up the bus to the Bromley-by-Bow Centre, a fascinating place. But first I was deeply enchanted by walking along Chatsworth Road, taking big crackling bites of buttery pastry in search of the snap of chocolate somewhere within. Layers. Life is better in layers. I think I was skipping, golden flakes of heaven fluttering off me as I passed. It was a dream of city living, a moment to say, "Why London? This is why..."

Now beside my cup of Twinnings Earl Grey is a brazil nut, a bite-sized piece of Green & Black's 70% dark chocolate and a bit of candied ginger. A nice little tidbit after a tea of fresh homemade vegetable soup. I'm rather proud of my secret ingredient in the soup, another joint effort between me and P. I'll say what it is: Pastis de Marseille, an anise aperitif. Also a steeped tea of anise, lemon and fennel. It worked, giving some depth and a bit of sweetness and raising the hint of a question, "what is that flavor, I wonder..."

We had a lovely cheese from L'Epic, too. More research is required in order for me to say what it was. I lost touch with the name right after I tried it. It's a very sharp Gruyere.

cheese and chocolate, a very good day.

No comments: