Wednesday, April 16, 2008

15 um 16.4.08 dinner party

It was so wonderful to be in the kitchen today, with time and space to create a dinner for friends. I got so excited I kind of overdid it. While Paul made a fantastic tomato sauce for pasta, with roasted peppers, lots of garlic and fresh basil, and some beautifully sauteed onions as the base, I made a salad. I think the combination was fun - mixed greens, rocket, toasted walnuts, bacon, and roquefort cheese with pomegranate seeds - but the dressing was a bit much with the flavors of the pasta sauce. I made a vinegar and olive oil base with lime juice, shallots, dried coriander and cumin. Great on its own, though, and colorful. I also attempted a pear tart. I made a crumble crust of flour, butter, and ground walnuts. I blind baked it, then sliced pears thin and poured a reduction of honey, lemon juice, brown sugar, vanilla essence and Grand Marnier over the top before the second bake. The crust was not all I had imagined - I think I was thinking of crushed biscuits but it was just floury. Should I have added an egg? Don't know. I just made it up. Thank God for cream over the top. And dark chocolate on the side.

We used every plate in the house, and they are in there now waiting for a wash. Not going to happen tonight. Er, this morning...

No comments: