Tuesday, April 22, 2008

22.4.08 food in the balance

First, I am wondering: if one puts some lime and fresh ginger in a delicate bone china cup with flowers painted on it and pours hot water from the (tea) kettle over it, is that tea?

That was my hot toddy of choice this evening, upon returning home to a pile of stale donuts after a fresh conversation with the Yorkshire poet Simon Armitage at the Royal Society for the Arts near the Embankment.

Today was another leftovers day! Can you believe it? I can't. I simply canNot. But, we bought some fresh, flat Turkish bread (a real neighborhood staple here in Hackney) and covered it in the black beans we made the other night, topped it with cheese and grilled it like a pizza. We served it to ourselves with fresh coriander on top and humous on the side, along with cauliflower and carrots and rocket as crudite and salad. I'm getting back on the 5-a-day bandwagon and toying around with raw foods. Some people swear by entire diets of raw food...I've always craved sushi in the morning.

I had an apple for breakfast and then later in the morning broke down and had some toast with peach jam (is that 1?) and honey and butter. Man, do I love butter.

Also today was another trip to Pret, our second in a week after not having gone there at all since we've been back. It's a bit tired, really. The sandwiches - a "slim pret" (1/2 a sandwich) of chicken and avocado for me tonight - feel fresh but lack flavor. Shame. Such a great concept.

So today for my Take Five:
apple
rocket
cauliflower
carrot

and
peach jam.

No comments: