Wednesday, April 9, 2008

9.4.08 follow the brick lane

It doesn't have the same ring to it as "follow the yellow brick road," but I do like the feeling of slipping into another world that I get whenever we go to Brick Lane for Indian. Something about the guys in suits who try to lure you into their restaurant. Are you supposed to look at the ones you are rejecting, say thanks but no thanks or see you next time. What is the etiquette here?

Going to BL was a treat because we've been so busy with work deadlines that I haven't even had time to write. I'm sure there were cappuccino's involved over the last couple of days. Made myself one at home today...not my best effort. No pain au chocolat that I can recall. But tonight we came across a well-known and fab bagel place (why is it spelled beigel?) and bought some challah bread (why is it spelled chola?) Also, why was every other customer in the place, and there were many, a short, balding, scabby older man dressed in black? Cabbies?

Elseways today I did the fast food thing, but consoled myself that for morning tea I very self-righteously bought myself an apple from the corner shop. And ate it. And only one slice of toast for breakfast. So that's good. Coffee, hot water & lemon, the usual. No cookies today. None. Not a one. Hard to go on living, really.

No comments: