Saturday, April 5, 2008

5.4.08 I ate this and this and this and this and this



this morning was dedicated to visiting the borough market and although it was a bit chilly, we arrived before the crowds and before the stall holders had sore feet. everyone was friendly and we could have made breakfast out of the samples on offer, but still opted to buy a few things. I traded my usual pain au chocolat for a chocolate eclair with proper white fluffy cream in the middle. Apparently, according to witnesses, my eyes rolled back in my head at first bite. yes, it was love.

we found
a parmagiano reggiano that was sweet and crumbly smooth at the beginning, with a bloom of saltiness for a finish
rye bread
olive oil infused with porcini mushrooms
comte cheese
several sausages
chocolate truffles
and a Monmouth coffee, a cappuccino, of course

so we had two picnics when we got home, a little of this, a little of that and more for tomorrow!

At Neal's Yard Dairy, where it was necessary to try not only the Colston Bassett stilton, but also a lovely strawberry jam, I came across an interesting looking little journal...but I can't find the link. Yet. A reason to return to Neal's Yard (like I need one).

Our best find of the day was a beautiful seasoning called Sumac, the color of maple leaves and described as "lemon of the gods." it is absolutely gorgeous and I will be cooking with it soon...

No comments: